Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Creamy Parmesan Basil Dip
Be honest. You saw the headline above and said this recipe’s got failure written all over it because my kids hate Brussels Sprouts. No big surprise there. At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, a dim view of sprouts is pretty much a universal consensus among all those picky diners in the pre-grownup stage.
Maybe it’s because sprouts look like tiny little cabbages — and what self-respecting kid can trust tiny cabbages on a dinner plate?
Granted, if you’re a grownup or you’re young but possess mature taste buds, boiling (7 to 10 minutes), steaming (about 5 minutes) or microwaving (5 to 8 minutes) a batch of Brussels sprouts and then coating them with in butter & garlic is pretty much as good as it gets with these vegetables. Simple and delicious.
But for most youngsters, this is where the gag reflex kicks in. Again, we’re not here to judge, we’re here to offer you an alternative. Like maybe baking those little cabbages instead of cooking them in water. Everybody likes baked veggies, including kids!
How can you dislike something that’s cooked on a baking sheet? Cookies are prepared on baking sheets, for goodness sakes! So here’s our take on an alternative to drowning your sprouts. We won’t guarantee all kids will love it. But we’re betting you will.
So, on to our recipe of the day — Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Creamy Parmesan Basil Dip. Your prep time is going to consume 25 minutes of the hour and a half process. Here’s what you’ll need to get started:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 large cloves garlic
- 1 lb. Green Giant Fresh Brussels Sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Prepare dip. Place mayonnaise, cheese, basil and garlic in food processor bowl; process until smooth. Spoon dip into small bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Heat oven to 400F. Wash and trim Brussels sprouts. Cut an “X” in stem end of each sprout. Place Brussels sprouts in medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients; toss to coat. Spoon seasoned sprouts onto baking sheet.
- Bake 25 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently, until sprouts are tender and golden brown. Serve warm or chilled with Creamy Parmesan Basil Dip.
To see more dishes that make sprouts a palatable plate, take a look at our quick search recipe finder and come up with more delicious recipes.